The Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB) is the largest freshwater ecology research institute in Germany. It is a member of the Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. and the Leibniz-Association (http://www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de/en/home/). The FVB manages 8 large research institutes in Berlin that have close links to all three universities in the German capital. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes.
You would like to expand your research on freshwaters or inland fisheries? You are highly motivated to put your excellent research ideas into action? You are keen on working abroad with an interdisciplinary team of scientists dedicated to advance freshwater ecology, inland fisheries science or related research areas? And you are looking for unique facilities to develop new approaches to tackle the most important research questions for the future of our freshwaters?
Then we cordially invite you to apply for a research visit at IGB. With Berlin being an attractive science location, you will find stimulating working conditions, excellent infrastructure and open-minded colleagues with a wide range of backgrounds in freshwater ecology and inland fisheries.
International IGB Fellowship Program in Freshwater Science
About the IGB Fellowship Program
Twice a year we offer fellowships to postdocs and senior scientists for 6-24 months. IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes. Fellowships are offered in two funding lines:
- Postdoc Fellowships: full support for postdoctoral researchers to carry out full-time research at IGB for up to two years
- Senior Fellowships: for scientists who generally lead a research group at their home institution to obtain funding for an extended visit at IGB (e.g., during a sabbatical leave)
The working language at IGB is English and we value diversity in backgrounds and nationalities.
Criteria and first contact
The type of fellowship applicable to your career stage depends on your qualifications at the intended starting date of your stay at IGB. Applicants must hold a Master degree or equivalent (PhD fellowships) or a doctoral degree (postdoc and senior scientist fellowships) in a subject relevant to one of the research areas pursued at IGB. Before submitting an application, please contact your potential host at IGB and develop a research programme in accordance with your host group. The following links may help to identify the best potential host to realize your ideas.
- Ecosystem Research
- Experimental Limnology
- Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- Ecophysiology and Aquaculture
- Analytical Chemistry and Biogeochemistry
IGB provides excellent laboratory and field facilities for interdisciplinary research, large-scale experimental facilities as well as long-term research programmes.
Applicants currently residing in Germany are not eligible to the fellowship programme. Please, contact your potential host at IGB to discuss alternative funding opportunities for your planned research.
Checklist for required documents
- your CV, including a complete list of publications
- certificates of your Master degree or equivalent, or of your doctoral degree, respectively
- a letter indicating your research interests and experience (max. 1 page)
- your proposed research programme at IGB (max. 1 page), including potential research host(s) and time line
- two letters of recommendation to be (a) uploaded by the applicant on our application platform or (b) sent by the reference contact directly to Dr. Ina Severin (firstname.lastname@example.org, cc to email@example.com)
Please apply (in English) electronically via the IGB’s online-job-market at http://www.igb-berlin.de/job-offers.html (button “Apply online”) no later than December 1, 2017.
IGB is determined to increase the proportion of women in science and particularly encourages female scientists to apply. Disabled persons with equal qualifications will be favoured.
Selection process and notification
The selection of the fellowship awards is competitive. The following evaluation criteria apply:
- outstanding scientific record and potential to conduct the proposed research
- full support of the potential host contacted before
- quality and novelty of the research proposal
- complementary integration into ongoing research activities at IGB
The selection committee is composed of the director, the department heads, the speakers of IGB’s cross-cutting research domains and IGB’s equal opportunity commissioner.
The director will notify the awardees no later than eight weeks after the application deadline. Research projects can start in agreement with the respective host at any time but no later than six months after notification. Candidates that have not been accepted can resubmit a revised application within one of the following application rounds. Consultation with the potential host is strongly recommended if this option is envisioned.
We are looking forward to receiving your application and welcoming you at IGB!